Author Topic: ScriptBasic 3.0  (Read 9390 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: ScriptBasic 3.0
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2024, 03:16:35 PM »
Has anyone downloaded ScriptBasic and given it a try? If you're not a member of the forum, an email (support@scriptbasic.org) review would be fine.

I'm still looking for contributors / developers to help with expanding the ScriptBasic's feature set.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2024, 05:02:15 PM »
It has almost been a month since the last post asking if anyone is using ScriptBasic. Should I assume I'm wasting my time supporting this open source project? Is BASIC dead and I missed the funeral?

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2024, 04:40:57 PM »
Are there any BASIC developers out there willing to join me in forking ScriptBasic to OneBASIC?

Send me an email if you're interested.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2024, 01:19:37 PM »
I'm considering rewriting the DLLC (OxygenBasic) FFI functionality as a C extension module so it can work on Linux as well. This would only be available in OneBASIC.

Offline James King

• Advocate
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2024, 09:51:09 PM »
I think that what you've built here is impressive. I found the repository for the source code here - https://gitlab.com/scriptbasic   and have been reading various forum articles to learn more about the system.

• Is there any reason that I should prefer building the ScriptBasic environment from source vs. using the pre-compiled version? Is it a 32/64 bit issue? Or would the purpose to be to learn about the build environment?
  • I have downloaded the MSVC-AIR.zip - is it the primary C compiler that I will want to use when building things to work with ScriptBasic?

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2024, 10:36:08 AM »
Thanks James for the feedback and trying ScriptBasic.

The sb-dev-msvc repo uses the ScriptBasic build system that creates .h include files and documentation from the C source. AIR (co-maintainer that has moved on) created a standalone Microsoft Visual C and Strawberry Perl compiler tailored for the ScriptBasic build system. The build system generates both Windows 64 bit and Linux 64 bit versions.

The sb-dev-win32 repo contains a pre-built Windows 32 bit version of ScriptBasic as an installer. It was compiled with TDM-GCC-32 and uses static .h files. The 32 bit version of ScriptBasic offers extensions that the 64 bit version doesn't support. COM / VB6 OCX support and the OxygenBasic DLLC (FFI, structures and string type conversions) extensions make the 32 bit version a good place to start.

Offline James King

• Advocate
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2024, 07:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the description of the builds and the tooling. That helps out a lot. It looks like I will have to check out both of them! I have some COM automation to try out on Windows, for sure.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2024, 09:50:32 PM »
There is an Excel COM example that could be helpful.

The COM extension has a Display Type function that will pop a dialog showing functions, subs and properties for an object reference you pass.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2024, 06:25:11 PM »
I have two goals with the fork of ScriptBasic to OneBASIC.

1. Expand on the developer guide to give a true picture how OneBASIC is built.

2. Improve and enhance the error reporting including extension modules.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2024, 11:20:28 PM »
If someone would like to take on the project of converting the current ScriptBasic Developer's Guide to markdown and make it more meaningful, I could setup a Gitlab OneBASIC wiki project for its development.

The Developer Guide is generated from source as is the User Guide. The end goal is the build process would update the Gitlab wiki repo. It currently generates HTML from its documentation tags.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2024, 04:20:09 PM by John »