Author Topic: ScriptBasic 3.0  (Read 7994 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: ScriptBasic 3.0
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2024, 03:16:35 PM »
Has anyone downloaded ScriptBasic and given it a try? If you're not a member of the forum, an email (support@scriptbasic.org) review would be fine.

I'm still looking for contributors / developers to help with expanding the ScriptBasic's feature set.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2024, 05:02:15 PM »
It has almost been a month since the last post asking if anyone is using ScriptBasic. Should I assume I'm wasting my time supporting this open source project? Is BASIC dead and I missed the funeral?

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2024, 04:40:57 PM »
Are there any BASIC developers out there willing to join me in forking ScriptBasic to OneBASIC?

Send me an email if you're interested.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2024, 01:19:37 PM »
I'm considering rewriting the DLLC (OxygenBasic) FFI functionality as a C extension module so it can work on Linux as well. This would only be available in OneBASIC.

Offline James King

• Advocate
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2024, 09:51:09 PM »
I think that what you've built here is impressive. I found the repository for the source code here - https://gitlab.com/scriptbasic   and have been reading various forum articles to learn more about the system.

• Is there any reason that I should prefer building the ScriptBasic environment from source vs. using the pre-compiled version? Is it a 32/64 bit issue? Or would the purpose to be to learn about the build environment?
  • I have downloaded the MSVC-AIR.zip - is it the primary C compiler that I will want to use when building things to work with ScriptBasic?

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2024, 10:36:08 AM »
Thanks James for the feedback and trying ScriptBasic.

The sb-dev-msvc repo uses the ScriptBasic build system that creates .h include files and documentation from the C source. AIR (co-maintainer that has moved on) created a standalone Microsoft Visual C and Strawberry Perl compiler tailored for the ScriptBasic build system. The build system generates both Windows 64 bit and Linux 64 bit versions.

The sb-dev-win32 repo contains a pre-built Windows 32 bit version of ScriptBasic as an installer. It was compiled with TDM-GCC-32 and uses static .h files. The 32 bit version of ScriptBasic offers extensions that the 64 bit version doesn't support. COM / VB6 OCX support and the OxygenBasic DLLC (FFI, structures and string type conversions) extensions make the 32 bit version a good place to start.

Offline James King

• Advocate
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2024, 07:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the description of the builds and the tooling. That helps out a lot. It looks like I will have to check out both of them! I have some COM automation to try out on Windows, for sure.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2024, 09:50:32 PM »
There is an Excel COM example that could be helpful.

The COM extension has a Display Type function that will pop a dialog showing functions, subs and properties for an object reference you pass.