Author Topic: PyBASIC - The BASIC interpreter that runs on microcontrollers  (Read 1645 times)

Offline richpl

• BASIC Developer
It?s been over three years since I posted about PyBASIC, a BASIC interpreter written in Python and which is lightweight enough to run on a microcontroller. With some help from some other folks on GitHub, it has developed a lot, and the repo now also contains some classic 70s BASIC games.

You can find the repo here:

https://github.com/richpl/PyBasic

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: PyBASIC - The BASIC interpreter that runs on microcontrollers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »
PyBASIC reminds me of BASICA. ScriptBasic can emulate your syntax except for the READ / DATA statements. (emulated as functions using associative arrays) Line numbers, LET and $ for strings are optional.

Have you heard about the new Raspberry Pi Pico micro controller that looks more like the ESP32-Pico? More memory and WIFI for $7. Does PyBASIC run on MicroPython?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 03:39:35 PM by John »

Offline richpl

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 03:35:41 AM »
I believe it does run on MicroPython, though I haven?t done anything personally with it. If you check out the PyBASIC fork by RetiredWizard, he has combined my software into a microcontroller based DOS emulator that runs on an RP2040.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 05:41:23 PM »
Richard (BBC BASIC) has a version running on a first generation RPi Pico. (amazing feat!)  I use the ESP32 micro controller that has a really nice Python based build system. I have a couple threads going on RaspberryBASIC.org with my micro controller and Python adventures.

Pico

« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 05:50:23 PM by John »