BASIC Developer & Support Resources > VB (5/6/CE) Classic

VB6 not dead

<< < (12/13) > >>

John:

--- Quote ---But probably I'm meddling too much in what isn't supposed to be my concern. I apologize if that is really the case. You know you are always free to trim my input to reasonable bounds if need be.
--- End quote ---

This is an open topic about VB6 and its continued viable use. I just happen to be using Dave's stuff as a working example and the problems I've run into.

Keep in mind that most of SB VB6 IDE/Debugger is standard scriba and dbg preprocessor code that VC2008 is complaining about. We can't blame Dave for that.

John:
I ran across this VB6 based form designer that looks promising.

Let me know if you think this would be a good place to start.

The one thing that I'm going to have a hard time giving up is the real time editing of a running form.  Maybe with a bit of help from VB, I can make the IUP dialog layout editor look a little better.

Mike Lobanovsky:
John, you already have 4+MB of dependencies in your VBCCR13.OCX. You're gonna have another five in your IUP framework. Why would you be willing to pull in yet another megabyte of DD-specific ActiveX'es and core C dependencies? Let alone COM that's strictly Windows-specific? There won't be any cross-platform code compatibility between Lin and Win SB this way.

OTOH BMFD/FMFD are tiny and self sufficient, and their code generators may easily be re-oriented from Common Controls to IUP or another GUI framework of your choice. There are a zillion eye candies written in VB6 but you won't be able to use them anywhere outside Windows COM, or even look through them all in your lifetime.

Just saying.

John:
Good points and made me realize how easy it is to get fat. For this round of the Windows 32 bit release I'm going to stick with what Dave gave us and the IUP dialog editor/designer. I think the end goal should be a cross platform IDE/Debugger written in C BASIC/IUP.

--- Quote ---There are a zillion eye candies written in VB6 but you won't be able to use them anywhere outside Windows COM, or even look through them all in your lifetime.
--- End quote ---

It's just nice to know that VB6 isn't dead for the everyday tasks and games we all loved doing in the past until Microsoft abandoned us for .NET.

--- Quote ---Unfortunately not enough people realise that VB stands for Very Best.  :)
--- End quote ---

Mike Lobanovsky:

--- Quote from: John on January 07, 2017, 10:22:57 am ---
--- Quote ---Unfortunately not enough people realise that VB stands for Very Best.  :)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Absolutely! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version