BASIC Developer & Support Resources > VB (5/6/CE) Classic

VB6 not dead

(1/13) > >>

John:
I'm having good luck using VB6 IDE on Windows 7 and generating OS level supported applications for Windows 7 - 10 using the current default Windows theming.

I'm curious if there are other VB6 programmers that would like to keep the candle burning with the hopes Microsoft will someday open source it?

The purpose for this post is to get feedback how others feel.

--- Quote ---"B4J is being used by our growing developer community to roll out real-world apps that solve everyday business problems faster than ever before," he said. "Based on the feedback we've received, B4J is being welcomed as an effective and long-awaited successor to Visual Basic."

--- End quote ---

AlyssonR:
I still use VB6 on my Win 7 kit - the only problem is when using the .exe on a different machine due to that £$%^&* code signing thing, since you can't simply tag an application as safe and you have to allow it to run every time.

Both the IDE and the apps run smoothly and reliably on Win 7 both on 32 and 64 bit systems.

John:

--- Quote ---the only problem is when using the .exe on a different machine due to that £$%^&* code signing thing,
--- End quote ---

Allowing an Unsigned Application to Run As Normal

Can you expand on that? I don't seem to have any issues running VB6 apps on XT, Win7 or Win10 no matter what version of Windows they were created on.

--- Quote ---Hi,

try the following links:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=347478

http://objectmix.com/basic-visual/156510-digital-signature-my-vb6-app.html

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1319134&page=161

Hope it helps.

Regards,
A.Murugan

--- End quote ---

It looks like if the .exe was created on XP, the code signing isn't a requirement.

--- Quote ---All part of the phaseout of COM I suppose, but the API can be used with a little more pain.  It just means you'll want to do your Vista builds on XP, or at least your code-signing and possibly your MSI installer builds on XP.

--- End quote ---

Even Microsoft has stated that VBA (COM/OLE) is still the preferred and feature rich scripting method in Office today.

AlyssonR:
Win 7 requires executable code to be signed with a current  certificate - it is self-certificated if you run it on the machine that it was compiled on.

When you develop using VB6, the resulting program runs seamlessly on the development system, but if you install it elsewhere, then execution is interrupted with the Windows User Account Control pop-up asking if you want the program to be allowed to make changes on your computer.

Mike Lobanovsky:
Wow-wow-wow!

You shouldn't use the words "installer", "setup", "updater", "patch" and the like to name your program if it isn't one! Windows UAC is trained to be aware of such names and would automatically require elevated privileges from the user that they might not have.

And even if it is a true installer/etc. supplied with an explicit standalone file or embedded resource manifest defining a "requireAdministrator", rather than "asInvoker", attribute for your application, the target user will still be prompted by UAC to allow/accept the changes the installer is going to introduce to their file system.

All this letting alone the fact that 99% of VB6 applications wouldn't have any manifest at all...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version